Applying for a Bachelor's programme

Do you already know which Bachelor’s programme you want to take at HKU? Find out here how you can apply in three simple steps. Also check out the general admission requirements. Perhaps we’ll see you in the new academic year?

Apply in three steps

  1. Use your DigiD to apply through Studielink
  2. Take the entrance exam
  3. Complete your enrolment in Studielink
  • If you want to be considered for a Bachelor’s programme at HKU, apply through the ‘request to enrol’ in Studielink.

    Here's what you need:

    • Your own DigiD*
    • Your personal information and contact details (such as name, address and telephone number)
    • Information about your prior education


    *You need a DigiD in order to apply for an HKU degree programme through Studielink. If you don’t yet have a DigiD, go to for more information and to request your ID. Be sure to do this on time as it may take up to five working days to receive the login details.

  • After you have applied through Studielink, you can be invited to the entrance exam. HKU will then send you an email about the admissions procedure. The type of assessment varies from programme to programme. You will also be notified by email as to whether you have been admitted to the programme of your choice. Our messages sometimes go straight to junk mail, so please check your junk mail regularly.

    You can take an entrance exam once a year for any individual degree programme. Check out the general admission requirements for our Bachelor’s programmes.

  • Once you receive notification that you have been admitted, you will still need to officially enrol at HKU. You do this by completing your enrolment in Studielink and arranging payment authorisation for the tuition fee.

    Read more about enrolment

    Congratulations! - You're coming to study at HKU!

    Once you are officially enrolled, HKU will issue you with a student ID card and proof of enrolment. Don't forget to apply for Dutch student financing through Studielink or directly through the DUO webiste.

General admission requirements for Bachelor’s programmes

Find out here about the general admission requirements for our Bachelor’s programmes. You can find the specific admission requirements for individual programmes on their web pages

Have a look at all our bachelorstudies!

Prior Education

For a Bachelor’s programme at HKU, you need at least a VWO, HAVO, MBO (level 4), or equivalent diploma.

  • If you have HAVO with a CM (Culture & Society) profile, you also need to have done Mathematics A or B to be eligible for the following programmes: Audio Design, Sound Design, Game Art, Game Design, Game Development and Crossover Creativity.
  • It’s your creative ability that we’re interested in. Our Bachelor’s programmes therefore have additional requirements that are assessed by an admissions committee. After you have applied through Studielink, you will be contacted about the admissions procedure.
  • If you don’t have the right diploma, you can take the 18+/21+ test. You can only do so, however, if you have already been admitted to a programme. Read more about the 18+/21+ test.
  • All programmes at HKU are taught in Dutch, unless otherwise stated. Students who have completed their prior education outside the Netherlands or Flanders must meet a Dutch language requirement before enrolling in one of our Bachelor’s programmes.

    An English language requirement may also apply to the Bachelor of Music programmes at HKU Utrechts Conservatorium and the Bachelor of Fine Art.
  • As a new student at HKU, you will be admitted to the first year of the programme. If you have already completed the first year or all or part of the specialist phase of a Bachelor's programme, you can apply for exemptions for the courses you have already taken.

Final exam only

If you only want to take the final exam in a particular programme, you may be able to enrol as an external student. This requires the consent of the Executive Board, who assess whether your enrolment would be in keeping with the nature or interests of the programme. You will then need to attach written proof of consent from the Executive Board to your enrolment form.

You cannot enrol as an external student for the first-year exam. External students must pay exam fees (without the option of payment in instalments or a refund) and are not entitled to student financing, to attend classes etc. or to use the School’s facilities.

Find out more?

Get in contact with the Student Affairs Service Desk. They will help you with questions about (almost) everything that has to do with studying at HKU.