Upon arrival

Upon arrival in the Netherlands there are a number of matters you need to arrange.

Upon arrival

Upon arrival you must arrange several important matters. These are necessary to complete the VVR procedure and maintain your residence permit.
  • Students with a VVR (only Group II) will need to provide their biometrical (fingerprints and a digital photo) details to IND. These are necessary to make the residence card. You will receive an email with instructions on how to register for this.

    Students with an MVV (only Group III) already provided the biometrical details to the Dutch embassy or consulate when they collected the MVV sticker. IND will make the residence card for you with these biometrical details. In case they can not be used you need to provide these again, HKU will inform you about this.
  • Once your residence card is ready, HKU will inform you about when, where and how you can pick it up.
  • You will need a place to live in the Netherlands. At first it can be difficult to find housing in and around Utrecht. Check some tips about housing at the finding housing page. After arrival you must officially register at your local city hall. After your registration, city hall will send you a letter with your BSN (citizen service number).

    If you have applied via Studielink you need to change your postal address in your Studielink account into the new Dutch address. Your address will then automatically be updated in the HKU student administration.

    Exchange students need to inform the Service Desk Student Affairs about the Dutch address details. Students who stay 4 months or less cannot register the Dutch address in the municipality. In that case you need to register yourself as a non-resident. This is mandatory as long as you have a VVR for study. With your registration as a non-resident you will receive a BSN number which you will need to open a Dutch bank account.

    What to do when you move?
    If you move house during your study period you need to inform City Hall about your new address. IND will check the central address administration for your recent address. If IND finds out you have no registered Dutch address your VVR could be cancelled.
    Read more about address registration.
  • You must have a health care insurance policy for the whole duration of your study. Please note it is your own responsibility to check if your insurance has a sufficient coverage. Read more about how you can arrange your health care insurance.
  • In order to have access to your money in the Netherlands you will have to open a Dutch bank account. With the details of your new Dutch bank account HKU can transfer the living fee of the VVR procedure back to you (if you have a full scholarship this will not apply to you). Please provide us with a copy of the front- and backside of your personal bank card in our upload tool. Make sure you have activated your account. Otherwise it will not be possible to transfer the money.

    Most large banks (such as ING, Rabobank, ABN AMRO) will accept foreign students. The bank can charge costs for opening the bank account. You also need to pay monthly service costs to the bank. These amounts vary per bank firm.

    To open a Dutch bank account you will need proof of enrolment as a student, a Dutch postal address and a citizen service number (BSN number). You will receive this from the City Hall after you register your address or your registration as a non resident (RNI).
    • With the online European Bunq bank you can open a bank account within 5 minutes and without a BSN number, but you will need to provide one within 90 days.
    • With ING bank you can also open your bank account online if you have a Dutch address, RNI or BRP registration (BSN number).
    • Please be aware that ABN AMRO bank will only allow you to open a bank account if you study in the Netherlands for more than one semester.
  • A prerequisite for residence permit students is that they are willing to take a TB test. The obligation to undergo the TB test does not apply when you are a national of one of the countries on the exemption list (pdf).

    If your country is not on this list, please read the following information carefully. You need to take the TB test within 3 months after the residence permit has been issued. In order to take the test, you have to make an appointment with the Community Health Service (GGD) in your city/region of residence. For this appointment, please fill out part 1 of the TB referral form (pdf) and bring it with you to the appointment.

    Remember to bring your ID and insurance details as well. After the test has been administered, the Community Health Service will fill in the rest of the form. Check with the Community Health Service whether they send the form to IND, or if you have to send it yourself.
    Please bring your debit card too, as you will have to pay for the test (usually about 40-50 euros) and most offices don't accept cash payments.

    GGD Utrecht region
    Students living in the city Utrecht and surrounded region (Bilthoven, Driebergen, Groenekan, Maarssen, Nieuwegein, Zeist) can can register online on the GGD website.
    Visiting address: 4th floor of Stadskantoor, Stadsplateau 1, 3521 AZ Utrecht

    GGD Amsterdam region
    Students living in Amsterdam, Amstelveen, Diemen, Ouder-Amstel, Aalsmeer and Uithoorn can register online on the GGD website. You will receive a letter with the appointment at your home address.
    Visiting address: Nieuwe Achtergracht 100, 1018 WT Amsterdam

    If you live in a different city or region please check the GGD.nl website to find the details of your local community health service.

HKU will ask you to upload copies of your documents. At the start of September (or February for second semester exchange students) an upload tool will be available. We will inform you about this by email.