Job-seeking year

After your graduation from HKU, you can apply for a residence permit for an orientation year for highly educated persons, commonly known as the job-seeking year.

The purpose of this permit is to give graduates time to look for a job as a highly skilled migrant in the Netherlands. The residence permit for a job-seeking year is valid for one year and cannot be renewed. During this period you are permitted to work to support yourself, without a work permit. The job-seeking year can be granted after each BA or MA programme you complete.

Nuffic and IND have made a promotional video about how to find a job in The Netherlands and the orienation year for highly skilled migrants, you can watch it here.

Application process

You can submit the application online when you are living in the Netherlands, are registered in the BRP and have a BSN. Clear instructions on how to apply are available on the IND website. The fee for the application is € 228 which you will pay within the application via iDeal. These fees are set by the IND and are subject to change.

Neccessary documents

  • A copy of your passport.
  • A copy of your diploma which shows the date of graduation. If you do not have your diploma yet, you can ask for a "Statement on completion of study" from HKU Service Desk Student Affairs. Send a request to once all your study credits are registered in Osiris.

Residence endorsement sticker

After your have submitted the online application you can collect a residence endorsement sticker in your passport. With this sticker you have the right to work without a work permit. You will need to make an appointment with the IND Desk via the IND online appointment service.
The new residence card will be ready within 3 weeks and the IND will send you a letter when it is ready to collect. You will need to make an appointment.

Travel during application procedure

If you want to travel during the application procedure for the job seeking year you must return to the Netherlands before the expiration date of your residence card for study. Otherwise you will need a return visa in order to re-enter the Netherlands. Check the IND website for information on how to apply for a return visa.

More information

If you have questions regarding the job seeking year, please check the IND website for more information about the orientation year application procedure.
You can read all about the Dutch workplace culture, innovative sectors, starting a business in the Netherlands and a lot more on the Study-in-NL website.