End of exchange period

When your exchange period is coming to an end, there are certain matters you should consider.

On this page you will find more information about the end of your exchange period.

We will send you and your home institution a HKU transcript of records by email after finishing your exchange period.

Checklist practical matters

  • Deregistration Dutch address

If you stayed longer than 4 months, you have officially registered at the city hall. Now you must also deregister.

Did you live in Utrecht? Please check with Gemeente Utrecht how you can cancel your registration. Living in another city? Please contact the local city hall about how to deregister.

  • Room

Please check your rental contract about how to leave your room, return the key and, if applicable, get your deposit back.

  • Dutch bank account

If you have opened a Dutch bank account, please check the regulations of the bank how to close your account.

  • Insurance

Check with your insurance company if you are insured for your journey home.

  • Discount card railways

If you have applied for a discount card (season ticket NS), please don't forget to cancel your card.

Residence Permit (non-EER)

  • VVR expiration date

The residence permit for study is valid for the duration of your exchange period (with the option of an extra 3 months to round off your study). After your exchange period HKU communicates the end date of your course to the IND.

  • Residence card

Your residence document is the property of the Dutch government. Therefore, you must return your residence document before you leave The Netherlands. Please check the IND website how to return your VVR card.


If you have any questions, please contact the HKU Service Desk Student Affairs: telephone +31 (0)30 209 15 40 or email sz@hku.nl.