General information

Once you have been admitted as a student at HKU University of the Arts Utrecht, there are certain matters you must attend to before you come to the Netherlands.

Visa and residence permit

First and foremost you must arrange for your visa and residence permit. Housing can be a challenge in the city of Utrecht - you will need to start this process as soon as possibly.

Read more on Student Portal

Practical matters

HKU Service Desk Student Affairs offers support and provides information on what you will need to arrange for your study here. Procedures differ slightly depending on your length of stay and which study you plan to follow.

Read more on Student portal

Language policy

The official language of instruction in most bachelor's courses is primarily Dutch. Most master's courses are taught in English.

Read more on Student portal


For most courses HKU has a restricted intake. Admission to the various programmes is based on a selection procedure (portfolio, audition, video), intended to offer the school insight into the student’s artistic qualities and level. For the Art and Economics courses at bachelor level, intake is determined by a lottery system.

Read more

Study in Holland

HKU Student Service Centre has put together information on life in Holland. If you would like to know more about the Netherlands and what it is like to study here, you can also take a look at the following websites:
  • Erudera: all the information about studying in The Netherlands and what you will need to arrange.
  • the official site of The Netherlands Board of Tourism. It gives a detailed impression of the country and lots of tips for activities.
  • NFP Fellowship:If you are a resident of one of 61 selected countries in Asia, Africa, Latin America and Eastern Europe, you might be eligible for a NFP Fellowship.

Prior education requirement

To be eligible for a course at HKU your prior education must be equivalent to a Dutch VWO, HAVO, MBO (level 4) degree.