Marcel Wierckx is a sound and video artist who creates music and image for concert, film, theatre and dance. He has worked with renowned ensembles and performers including Chunky Move, anoukvandijkdc, Dansgroep Amsterdam, Krisztina de Chatel, Monica Germino, Timuçin Sahin, Roderik de Man, Black Pencil Ensemble and Electra Ensemble. Wierckx regularly presents his work at festivals and conferences around the world, including the International Computer Music Conference, the International Society of Contemporary Music World Music Days, the Melbourne Festival, Dance Massive, the STRP Festival and the MFRU International Festival of Computer Arts.
Recent projects include new music for Chunky Move's dance performances An Act of Now and 247 Days. An Act of Now was awarded the prestigious Age Critic's Award for best new performance at the Melbourne Festival in 2012. Wierckx was commissioned to compose a new work for Disklavier and Live Coder, which was premiered by Anne Veinberg at the 2013 international Live.Code.Festival in Karlsruhe. His audiovisual work ZinTuig (Sense Machine), especially written for the Turkish virtuoso guitarist Timuçin Sahin, was premiered at the 2010 International Computer Music Conference in New York and performed at the 2011 ISCM World Music Days in Zagreb. Current projects include creating the immersive audiovisual installation Night Noise for the White Nights event in Winnipeg, Canada, composing spatial music for the 4D Sound System, and performing interactive visuals for the contemporary jazz ensembles Art of the Eyebrow and Tin Men and the Telephone.
Wierckx has been a Lecturer in Composition and Software Design at HKU Music and Technology since 2002, and since 2013 also Lecturer in Live Electronic Music at the Amsterdam Conservatorium. His research and education projects focus on the development and implementation of software systems for composing and performing live electronic music. Currently his main interest is in new modes of performing electronic music, specifically the emerging fields of audiovisual music and live coding. He has published articles on software systems for audiovisual composition (The ArtsSync Project, ICMC 2006) and live coding (What is the Question to which Live Coding is the Answer?, Keynote speech for the Coded Matter(s) symposium, STEIM 2014).
- performance "White Light Black Static" at 4DSOUND, Amsterdam 26 maart
- video release "Industry" (cooperation with Monica Germino en Michael Gordon) on the iTunes Store 11 April
- interactive installation "Night Noise" at Nuit Blanche, Winnipeg, Canada 27-28 September
- keynote speech "What is the question to which Live Coding is the answer" at Coded Matter(s), Amsterdam 23 March
performance "Ostinato" at the Live.Code.Festival in Karlsruhe 20 April
performance "An Act of Now" (in cooperation with Chunky Move/Anouk van Dijk) in Melbourne 10 October. Winner of the Age Critic's Award best new production of 2012.
performance "ZinTuig" at the ISCM World New Music Days in Zagreb 13 April
- performance "Light and Sound Play" at the International Festival of Computer Arts (MFRU) in Maribor
- performance "ZinTuig" at the International Computer Music Conference (ICMC) in New York
installation "Fuzz" at the ISCM World New Music Days in Sydney
performance "Music, When Soft Voices Die..." (cooperation with Roderik de Man) at the International Computer Music Conference (ICMC) in Copenhagen
- presentation - ICMC2006, "The ArtsSync Project" (academic publication together with Christopher Keyes) at the International Computer Music Conference (ICMC) in New Orleans
- performance "Zwarte Ruis Witte Stilte" at the International Computer Music Conference (ICMC) in New Orleans