What you need to know about housing, finances, taxes and health insurance.



HKU has no reserved housing facilities for employees. However, we do have a real estate office that we can refer you to. Realtors Meta and Suzanne from Stadsdaemes can assist you with the search for the right housing for you (and your family). Please note that in order to arrange housing through Stadsdaemes you will need a Dutch bank account. Visit the website.


In some cases HKU can make use of accommodation provided by SSH (Student Housing). Please note that very strict income regulations apply and that there might no accommodation available. Please contact the HRM Officer for more information.


For a shorter rental period we advise you to use Airbnb where you will find several accommodation options in the city of Utrecht.


As soon as you have found accommodation you will be able to register at the City Hall. On registration you will be given a BSN number (Burger Service Nummer). A BSN number is a personal social security number and is also connected to the Dutch tax authorities (Belastingdienst). Please provide us with this number. Please do not forget to bring along your rental contract, passport and certified birth certificate. If your partner is accompanying you, please also bring:

  • The original certified certificate of the registered partnership

  • The original certified birth certificate of you and your partner

Bank account

Your monthly salary can be paid either to the bank account in your home country or to a Dutch bank account. If you would like to open a Dutch bank account you will probably have to provide the bank with your BRP number.

Please note you will also need a Dutch account if you wish to have a Dutch cell phone or if you would like to make use of Dutch public transportation.

Tax deduction

When you come to work in the Netherlands, you may incur with extra costs called 'extraterritorial' costs. Your employer may grant you a free (untaxed) reimbursement for the extraterritorial costs you incur. Your employer may also provide you with 30% of your wage, including reimbursement, tax-free. This facility is known as the 30% facility.

For this, it is not necessary to prove that expenses have been incurred. Please read more at

Health insurance

Everyone working in the Netherlands has to take out health care insurance. Under specific circumstances, such as in case of a paid appointment, employees are obliged to take out Dutch public healthcare insurance. In such cases, just like any Dutch resident, the employee may choose the health care insurer he wishes to do business with.

HKU has a preferred suppliership with Zilverenkruis Achmea. To get the discount rate you will have to use a special number for HBOs: 207000875. For more information:

Scientific researchers with no income in the Netherlands need to take out a private health care insurance. The health insurance from your home country will be sufficient if it covers your stay in the Netherlands. If you have a residence permit, the IND requires you have an extensive insurance coverage which even covers admission to a mental hospital or sanatorium.

Insurance company AON offers an insurance specific for researchers. Check the AON website for more information.

Health Care Allowance

The Dutch public healthcare insurance can be rather expensive, but people below a certain income level can receive a financial contribution towards their costs through the Healthcare Allowance (zorgtoeslag). You may be eligible to get healthcare allowance if you participate in the Dutch public healthcare insurance scheme (zorgverzekering).

You can apply for the health care allowance each year until September 1st. Application forms can be acquired at your Dutch local Tax Office or by dialing 0800-0543 (toll free). Keep your social security numberĀ  at hand. It is alo possible to apply on-line

Regrettably, the application procedure is only available in Dutch.

Additional info

About the Utrecht Region

The Utrecht Region is located in the middle of the Netherlands and provides a vibrant international environment for expats. Learn more about working, studying and living here.

Read more

Research in the Netherlands

Useful information when visiting the Netherlands for scientific research. The FactCards website structures information around five main themes: Arriving, Studying, Living, Working and Research.

Read more

Current affairs

The website offers articles from Dutch media translated to English and serves as an aggregate for articles about the Netherlands from foreign sites.

Read more