Welcome at HKU University of the Arts Utrecht (HKU). We hope this page will help you when coming to the Netherlands and working at HKU.

Things to arrange

HKU is responsible for the lawful residence of its employees and guest employees. The staff of HKU Service Desk Student Affairs are specialists in Dutch immigration procedures. They will help you and your family with applications for visas, residence permits and work permits.

There are different types of residence permits, and HKU will determine which type you require. In order to obtain a residence permit for work, you will have to meet several criteria. Different criteria apply to each type of residence permit.

HRM Officer

A HRM Officer from the HR department is appointed to deal with each recruitment of a new employee or guest employee. This person is your first point of contact and can be reached at In addition to the HRM Officer you will also have contact with staff employees of the Service Desk Student Affairs.

How does it work?

As soon as you have come to an agreement with the head of the department you are going to work with, you will be contacted by your HRM Officer.

TheHRM Officer will assist you in completing a questionnaire to determine which type of residence permit you need in order to work legally in the Netherlands. All further steps in the process will be based on this questionnaire.

The completed questionnaire will be sent to our HRM department (so they can draw up your contract) and to the Service Desk Student Affairs (so they can look into the type of permit you will need).


For your residence permit you will need copies of your highest completed degrees and certificates and include didactical certificates. These will have to  recognized and translated in Dutch or English.

Please check the IDW website, if you need recognition of your diploma’s or profession. For translation you may use a translator that is certified to provide legal translations. In Utrecht you can contact Metamorfose Vertalingen Translations. Copies of your translated diplomas will also be put in your employee dossier at HKU.

Residence permit

As soon as we have determined the type of permit you need, we will send you an e-mail with a list of all the documents required. Please note that you will need to print out the documents and use a pen to complete them. When you have completed all the forms, please send them by post to HKU Student Service Centre.

Work permit
In most cases a work permit is part of the application procedure for a residence permit. On receipt of your documents, the Service Desk Student Affairs will send the application to the IND (Dutch Immigration Services). On the basis of all the documents, the IND will determine whether you meet the criteria for a residence permit.

Contact address

HKU University of the Arts Utrecht
Service Desk Student Affairs / VVR application

P.O. Box 1520
3500 BM Utrecht
The Netherlands

Important documents

Please note that you will need to bring the following documents:

  • Passport
  • Legalized (certified) birth certificate (translated into English, Dutch, French or German)
  • Legalized (certified) wedding certificate (if applicable)

  • Legalized (certified) diploma’s and certificates translated into English or Dutch

Things to remember

(in this order):

1. Contract
2. Residence permit
3. Housing
4. BSN number
5. Dutch bank account
6. Dutch health insurance
5. Application for tax deduction

Health services

Emergency Number

In case of emergency please use any phone to dial 112 

General practitioner (huisarts) 

For all non-emergency health matters, you consult a general practitioner. The general practitioner's practice Janskerkhof is open to all international employees of HKU. All the doctors speak English fluently. 


The dentist's practice of Bartoklaan is open to all international employees of HKU. All the dentists speak English. 


Please find an overview of hospitals in Utrecht here.