Within the Master of Music, pathway Music Design you develop yourself as a performer, sound artist, composer, sound designer, vocalist, or music technologist.
Music Design pathway
The Music Design pathway is divided into the following four strands: Composition, Music Production, Music Technology and Sound Design. Our students develop their own professional development plan which forms the basis of their individual study trajectory. Read More
Why this course?
- Individual study plan which contains your personal study goals.
- Coaching by an individual supervisor.
- Lecturers with broad expertise in the field of music technology.
- Practice-based research will help you develop yourself. A skill that will enable you to keep developing after the studies.
- Our school and lecturers have a professional network: venues, music organisations, musea, studios etc.
- Master students are invited to collaborate in projects and other opportunities (contests, international collaborations, events) are shared with master students via email.
- Multidisciplinary projects with other schools of HKU – animation, dance theatre, film, games, visual art, spatial design, VR-experiences etc.
- Training in entrepreneurial and organizational attitude.
- Masterclasses and workshops.
- Artists-in-residence project: an intensive kickoff project that will kickstart your professional practice.
- State-of-the-art music studios, black boxes (VR, motion capture technology, virtual acoustics (Omniwave), projection mapping), Maker Space (3d printers, laser cutters, 3d routers), wood and metal workshops, etc.
- Opportunity to participate in one of HKU’s research programmes, e.g. the Music Design Research Programme. This programme focusses on the interactive and innovative applications of music design.
- HKU’s Expertise Centre programme. The Expertise Centres organise lectures, network events and a variety of workshops.
If you want to apply for the Master of Music, you must have completed a music course at Bachelor level, or show relevant experience in the field of music technology. The admissions committee will further assess your portfolio, motivation letter and curriculum vitae. Read more
For questions about admission, scholarships, pre-education, language testing, etc. please contact HKU Service Desk Student Affairs by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
For content-related questions about the course, feel free to contact Claudia van den Hoeven – Mmus tutor: email@example.com.